February 19, 2013

"Pfui!"

"Pfui," a word of German origin, is what we said at our house to express disgust. I don't know whether my Parents incorporated it into their vocabulary when they were Displaced Persons or whether Mom learned it from the time she spent in the German-speaking part of Lithuania.

We said "pfui" often around here when the dogs were puppies.

In America we say "phooey." But "pfui" sounds stronger to me.


Morton Arboretum, Lisle, Illinois, May 1961. This is the facial expression that accompanies "pfui."

2 comments:

ralph said...

Very interesting observation. I remember my mother and grandmother using that word fairly often when I grew up. At least that's how I remember it. Today, we rarely--if at all--use it. Do you know "igitt" or "igittigitt" at all?

Irene said...

Hi Ralph, "Igitt" rings no bells for me.