December 29, 2011

Start out by getting organized.


I spent most of this afternoon and evening planning another fair-isle knitting project. Selecting a pattern and modifying the size are big jobs, but the most challenging aspect to knitting design is color selection. It's easy to choose hues when one works in bright shades that distinguish themselves easily. But it's tricky when I try to select shades in my favorite tones, the neutrals.

I have a plan. Now I'll be able to get to work.


Suburban Chicago, Spring 1964. I organize my work on the Rec Room play table. Everything has its place: even the plastic pocket book and the cylindrical pencil sharpener are positioned in exactly the right spots. There's the pole lamp with the appliquéd butterflies!

3 comments:

Michele LaVigne said...

You should post a photo of the yarns that will make up this latest project. I love your color sense and what you are able to do with "neutrals." Is the blue FI cardigan you were working on finished?

Irene said...

The colors are the same as the ones I used in the "Lithuanian Sashes" sweater. I am knitting a tam; yes, I am violating my "no small things" rule.

The blue fair-isle cardigan still is a UFO.

Michele LaVigne said...

A tam? One tam? How very unlike you.
I'm looking forward to seeing the finished blue FI, but certainly understand how things go into the UFO pile. Can you say Whistler?