December 24, 2011

The Sound of Music

The Sound of Music is one of my favorite movies. Although we own a copy, it's always exciting when a network broadcasts the film during a holiday weekend. Old school.

I loved the movie before it morphed into the cultish subject of Rocky-Horror style sing-alongs. I fell for the film from the moment I saw it at the movie theatre, in 1965. The Sound of Music combined plot elements that drew me in easily: nuns, Nazis, World War II, romance, refugees, a wicked baroness, and, of course, Julie Andrew, the star of Mary Poppins.

My Best Friend and I staged a backyard production of the movie for the neighborhood. She played Captain von Trapp, and I was Maria. We sang the songs and ran around the Weeping Willows in the yard as though we were in the Alps. As our staging inched toward the five-hour mark, my paternal Grandmother, Tatjana, pulled the curtain on our play.

When my Parents and I traveled to the German-speaking countries, our itinerary including a mandatory stop in Salzburg for a "Sound of Music Tour."

Today, I still remember the lyrics of many songs from the film. The other day, someone mentioned Christopher Plummer. A coworker and I burst into "Somewhere in My Youth" without hesitation.

I think the Ländler scene—in which the Captain leads a startled Maria through the steps on the traditional Austrian folk dance—remains one of the most touching moments captured on film.


Suburban Chicago, 1965. I engage in a "Maria moment" at my play table.

5 comments:

Patrick said...

Perhaps my favorite post so far - a picture of you dressed as a nun.

Five hours? Even I have my limits. Your grandmother has stamina.

Irene said...

You like this one better than the flying nun post?

Patrick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patrick said...

People dressed as nuns always makes me laugh.

I don't know - maybe it was 12 years of catholic school or the drag shows I saw while I lived in New Orleans...

Irene said...

Did you notice that you now have a "tag" on the blog?!

I have many more nun photos. I'll post them periodically, and I'll think of you.