January 15, 2016

A Pattern Gem


Verona, Wisconsin, January 2016. The pattern for this sweater has been in my queue for over 30 years. Knitters will recognize it as a Penny Straker design (see pullover here; I plan to knit that for Mr. Irene out of this wool, in color "Blue Lagoon"). I worked the cardigan in Blackberry Ridge's Medium-Weight, Mohair-Blend Yarn, color "Light Gray." That's my favorite worsted wool.

The amazing buttons are carved from reclaimed walrus (I think; could be some other arctic beast) tusks. My Toronto Cousin bought the buttons for me during her trip to Alaska. Score!! Here's a closer look at the buttons:

4 comments:

edutcher said...

Dare we say masterpiece?

In all seriousness, it is quite good. Pat yourself on the back.

Irene said...

Thanks. This pattern is not difficult; it would be a good first project for someone learning to work cables.

edutcher said...

I'm still impressed.

A Nanny said...

I have been looking to find a copy of the pattern to no avail. My sister in law lives in Oregon and her daughter in Verona - any chance you have one?