June 17, 2015

June Misery


Kėdianai (?), Lithuania, about 1938. My friend V writes, "About this time in June, 1941 my grandparents, who were school teachers and uncle (he was 16) were part of the Soviet's mass deportations of Lithuanians to Siberia. They were put on a train in a cattle car and taken to Yakutsk, Russia. The anniversary of this holocaust is never mentioned in the media. So, today I honor their memory. My grandfather Petras [M.] perished in a Siberian prison camp." (Links added.)
 
Thanks to my friend V for making this photo available to us.

1 comment:

edutcher said...

Good for you for memorializing this.

Although Stalin's worst crimes were before the war, it's estimated more than 5 million people died during these deportations during the "Great Patriotic" War and close to 10 million in the years after the War before Stalin died.