April 30, 2012

The Second One

By the time I finished knitting my first sweater, I was ready to tackle a more complicated project. My Mom bought a nice worsted-weight wool for me in a soft, pink color. I recall that we selected the yarn at Marshall Field's on Lake Street, in Oak Park. Back then, Field's featured a modest yarn department in an annex on the store's fourth floor. The yarn department at Field's stood near the Girl Scout section of the store. I so wanted to be a Girl Scout so that I could wear the spiffy uniforms on display at Field's. But I'll save that story for another post.

The pink color we selected for my second sweater was not an abrasive tone; it was a shade that I still would wear today. Color wasn't the difficult issue for me; selection of a pattern was the tough decision. I wanted to knit something more challenging, but Mom didn't want me to be discouraged by a pattern that was too advanced.

We narrowed down my choices by reviewing the pattern books Mom had accumulated. Mom subscribed to two knitting magazines: Stitchcraft, a British publication to which my friend Kris and I fondly referred as "Witchcraft," and Vogue Knitting. Mom and I found a "beginner Aran" in one of the Stitchcraft issues. I worked on the sweater for about six months.

After I completed it, I wore that pink Aran for many years.


Suburban Chicago, June 1969. The issue of Stitchcraft is on my lap as I work on the pink Aran.

*     *     *     *     *


Suburban Chicago, December 1969. I model the Aran. Do you like my necklace? It's a peace sign.

2 comments:

Michele LaVigne said...

That is a terrific sweater. I'd gladly make that now (once I got through the queue of unfinished items on needles). I love that you were knitting quality items from the beginning. No Red Heart scarf for Irene!! Why am I not surprised?

Irene said...

I knitted this sweater in a Bernat yarn, "Berella 4." That was a high-quality yarn. I think Field's also sold Brunswick yarns because I remember buying a fingering-weight wool, "Pomfret," that I used to knit a slate-blue sweater.