December 30, 2011

Eve of New Year's Eve

I went to the bank this morning. A sign on the drive-up window alerted customers that today, December 30, is the last "business day" of 2011. Deposits made tomorrow, on Saturday, count as 2012 transactions. When I practiced law, the end of the calendar year was our busiest season. Many people sought to complete tax-related maneuvers before the close of the year.

Now the end of the year is just a normal day. I prefer that to the feeling of a tidal wave sweeping out the old business.

When I was growing up, I looked forward to New Year's Eve as though it were a critical milestone. New Year's Eve made me feel as though I were getting closer to adulthood. The adults got to do fun things like join the regular group of friends with whom they celebrated New Year's Eve. If the party occurred at our house, then I got to watch the grownups mingle and dance. If the party rotated to someone else's house, then I got to watch my Parents put on their fancy clothes, and I waited to see the photos from the spectacular evening.


Suburban Chicago, December 31, 1960. My Mom and Dad are ready for the New Year's Eve party.


*     *     *     *     *


Suburban Chicago, December 31, 1960. My Parents ring in the New Year with fellow Lithuanians in our little suburb. The party hosts had confetti on hand!

No comments: