October 26, 2011

I encounter my first Poodle.

I met a Poodle for the first time during the Spring of 1960. Although I may have seen Mikey, our neighbors' dog, before this encounter, I am not aware of it.

My Parents took me to visit their good friends who lived in a cool, mid-century modern house in Rockford, Illinois. The friends had two black Poodles and an impressive German Shepherd. Here we are on the patio, and the homeowner is showing me how to hold a dog leash. I remember this moment vividly:


Rockford, Illinois, May 1960. While I am introduced to the Poodle, my handsome Dad watches, on the left. My elegant Mom relaxes on the ledge; she's looking directly at the Poodle.

*     *     *     *     *

Later in the day, after the midday, Sunday meal, Mom and Dad gave me a closer look at the Poodle:


Rockford, Illinois, May 1960. Poodles are great. Especially when they wear rhinestone collars.

No comments: