April 11, 2012

Victoria

Victoria was the sister of my paternal Grandfather, Vytautas. I've posted about her here and here.

Victoria helped our family when her sister-in-law, my paternal Grandmother Tatjana, was dying from ovarian cancer. Victoria flew in from New York and stayed with us for several weeks. Victoria was eighty years old then, and she did not drive. Every morning, she walked the two miles to visit Tatjana in her hospital room. When Victoria returned to the house in the afternoons, she cooked our dinners. Her visit straddled the Easter holiday, and Victoria baked some lovely delicacies for our holiday table. We still have a few of her handwritten recipes.

I loved her very much, and I visited again with her in the mid-1980s.


Kaunas, Lithuania, about 1936. Here is Victoria, in her prime.

*     *     *     *     *


Suburban Chicago, April 1974. Victoria and my Mom relax in the living room during Victoria's stay with us. There's Mom's knitting bag!

*     *     *     *     *


Suburban Chicago, April 1974. Our Poodle, Gigi, liked Victoria, too.

2 comments:

Kris said...

I'm not absolutely certain, but I think my mom still has that same bag somewhere in a closet.

Irene said...

My Mom's is still in use!