April 10, 2012

A Gathering in the Garden


Kaunas, Lithuania, 1936. This snapshot of my Dad's extended family was taken on the same day as this "cousins" photo. My Dad, flashing a satisfied smile, is the only subject wearing eye glasses. To Dad's left stands his twin sister, Jonė. Behind my Dad is his mother, my paternal Grandmother Tatjana, who looks serene. Her husband, my paternal Grandfather, Vytautas, is behind her.

The woman standing next to Tatjana is her beloved sister-in-law, Victoria, a sibling of Tatjana's husband, Vytautas. You've seen images of Victoria earlier here and here. The gentleman on Tatjana's left is Victoria's husband, and the three young people standing behind and in front of Victoria are her children. I earlier posted a photo of many of these family members together here.

Check out the coats and the karakul neck wraps.

Thanks to my Toronto Cousin for making this photo available to us. It's pretty exciting when I see a photo like this one for the first time.

No comments: