October 7, 2015

Cake, in Three Takes


*     *     *     *     *


*     *     *     *     *


Suburban Chicago, Spring 1973. My Toronto Cousin and I share a Pepperidge Farm walnut layer cake. There was a period when we used to pick up one of those frozen cakes. We recently looked for that cake, but it apparently has been discontinued.

This photo set shows how pink our kitchen was. Behind us is the dishwasher and the Roper wall oven. My paternal Grandmother, Tatjana, is washing dishes; the dish rack holds a plastic tumbler from the Jewel Food Store.

I'm wearing a turquoise ring my Parents bought when we first vacationed in Glacier. On my left hand is a minuscule ruby ring that belonged to my maternal Grandmother, Jadzė. I also wear the dainty watch I selected in Switzerland. There's instant coffee and a copy of "Draugas" on the table.

(Neither my Toronto Cousin [ever] nor I [in 1973] smoked; that looks like Dad's ashtray. Do you remember crafting ashtrays and trivets with those little tiles? Who supervised you when you spread the grout?)

Ah! The checkered dish towel is still in use.

1 comment:

edutcher said...

Nice rosy cheeks with that red hair.

We recently looked for that cake, but it apparently has been discontinued.

I've noticed a lot of that with various food products. The ever-rising price of commodities.

Do you remember crafting ashtrays and trivets with those little tiles? Who supervised you when you spread the grout?)

The story of my youth. We were left to ourselves, grout-wise.