March 29, 2014

Savoring a treat.

We rarely had "junk food" available at our house. Soda was on hand only when we entertained: Dad used 50/50 or Canada Dry Ginger Ale to mix high balls. Potato chips appeared only during birthday parties. I so envied classmates who had little bags of Fritos and Jay's Potato Chips tucked in their lunchboxes. The absence of "junk food" didn't arise from a focus on healthy eating. After all, Tatjana often cooked with instant soup and Jell-O. I think we didn't keep "junk food" in the house because that was the type of food Americans, not Lithuanians, ate.
 
Mom occasionally accommodated my taste for American-style snacks. She sometimes let me select a "$100,000 Bar" or a Slo Poke during our Thursday trips to the grocery store. She also occasionally indulged my favorite after-school snack: a glass of Hawaiian Punch and a bowl of deli-counter potato salad.


Suburban Chicago, March 1964 . I'm watching television in the Rec Room as I sip a treat. I'm drinking from one of those tumblers from the Jewel Food Store.

2 comments:

edutcher said...

A Coke and some potato chips (Wise, preferably) were Friday and Saturday night treats and ginger ale was usually for when you were sick, but TastyKakes (I am from right outside Philadelphia, after all) made up at least 4 of the 5 Basic Food Groups.

Irene said...

I forgot to mention that the treat that usually landed in my lunchbox was ... A Twinkie.