July 23, 2013

The Life Box (Part 9)

In the scrapbook Ernest Hemingway's mother compiled, she included an apology the author penned on May 11, 1913.
 
Did you ever write a remorseful note to your Parents? I did:


Suburban Chicago, about 1967 or 1968. I wrote the note to obviate a likely punishment for two low exam scores. In our household two things sparked swift discipline: (1) disrespect; and (2) a bad grade. I don't remember whether this apology worked. It was memorable: Dad placed the note in the manila folder in which he saved my grade-school report cards.

3 comments:

edutcher said...

I was so used to bad grades, I just waited for the inevitable tirade.

I still don't know how they got anything into my pointy little head.

Irene said...

I'll be posting additional stories on the bad-grade theme. By the seventh grade, I had learned my lesson.

edutcher said...

It wasn't a question of whether I wanted it, it was a question of did I get it.