May 14, 2013

The Life Box (Part 1)


I though I'd lost the programs from the Rudolph Nureyev performance I attended with my Godmother. I recall having lent the programs to a dear, high-school friend, and I did not remember whether she returned them. She's a do-the-right-thing kind of person—always has been—so it was hard to imagine she didn't give it them back to me.
 
She did return them; I just forgot where they were. 
 
Mr. Irene and I each have "life boxes." The life boxes are oversized plastic bins into which we drop mementos. My life box contains ticket stubs, prom dance cards, menus from restaurants, a little wooden boat Dad carved, an empty can of vending-machine juice that I once threw at a boyfriend when I still lived in Sherman Hall, my First Communion rosary, the tail of a squirrel that Meškė brought home, a few political buttons, and so on. I rifled through the life box last weekend when I wanted to pull out that Verona Morning Star project. At the bottom of the box was a bag in which I'd stored programs and Playbills. 
 
There were the Nureyev programs. I was delighted to see that my Godmother had taken my to see Nureyev not once, but twice.
 
 
Lyric Opera House, Chicago, Illinois, April 7, 1973. I'd forgotten about this performance.
 
*     *     *     *     *
 
 
Lyric Opera House, Chicago, Illinois, March 23, 1974. By the time I saw this performance, I wanted an autograph. This was the free program all audience members received.
 
*     *     *     *     *
 
 
Lyric Opera House, Chicago, Illinois, March 23, 1974. This was the glossy program my Godmother bought for me. I took it to the stage door after the show. I met Mr. Nureyev, but he declined to sign my program. *Whimpers.*
 
*     *     *     *     *
 
 
Lyric Opera House, Chicago, Illinois, March 23, 1974.  Here's my ticket stub and some newspaper clippings. "Admission $7.50."
 
The performance was "Giselle:"
 
 

3 comments:

edutcher said...

That is a great idea.

Stuff like that would accumulate until Mom got tired of tripping over it and it got the old heave-ho.

So glad you could hang onto your mementos.

Irene said...

I plan to post more photos of the gems in the life box in the future.

edutcher said...

It would be nice if you could give that idea broader circulation.

I'm sure not only kids, but also parents, would profit from something like that.