May 11, 2013

The Verona Morning Star


My favorite high-school teacher also taught English. We students thought this teacher was cool because she was only eight years older than we were. She was fresh out of college. She was stylish: her clothes were a bit hippie Bohemian, and she styled her hair in a long shag. The teacher spoke to us as if we were adults, and she often peppered her vocabulary with words we hadn't hear before. She moderated the "Creative Writing Club," which I joined, and she took a group to hear Germaine Greer speak at the local community college. (What I remember most about Greer's lecture was how Greer flirtatiously played with her long, silk scarf throughout the talk).
 
During my sophomore year, the teacher assigned Romeo and Juliet. To test our understanding of the play, she assigned an unusual homework project. We were directed to create a newspaper that knit the themes of the play and showed our grasp of its historical setting.
 
We received the assignment on a Friday, and it was due the following Monday. When I returned home from school, I headed that afternoon to my Best Friend's house. My Best Friend was artistic, and I hoped she'd have some materials with which I could craft the piece. We found some large sheets of newspaper stock in her supplies. My Best Friend and I went out to her backyard, where we burned the edges of the paper to make it appear aged. From there, I spent the weekend writing up stories about Renaissance Verona on my Parents' Royal Typewriter. I drew advertisements, maps, and a comic strip. 
 
The assignment was the most memorable one I completed. What I learned from this teacher—and from my other, favorite teachers—was that good teachers don't teach you material; they teach you to think differently and apply what you've learned critically.
 
 
Suburban Chicago, October 12, 1973. A piece of twine originally held the two pages of my newspaper together.
 
*     *     *     *     *
 
 
Page 2 featured a column by Margarita's Mouth, "Verona's Galloping Gossip."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this the one where you named a character Splendorina Voluptuosa? or was it the other way around?

Nora

Irene said...

Nora! Yes! Her obituary appears on page 2:

"Splendorina Voloptuoso. Verona's leading lady of merry makings and pleasurable pastimes, yesterday suffered a misfortune which claimed her earthly existence. After swooning from the powers of the sun, Madame Voloptuoso was not capable of recovering. The home of this honourable lady was frequented by many of Verona's gentleman at regular intervals. She will be missed by all."

(I also today photographed my Nureyev performance programs; I had lent them to you for a while shortly after the shows. I'll post those next week.)

edutcher said...

Very creative.

You may count me appropriately impressed.

Irene said...

edutcher, Mr. Irene saw the "paper" today for the first time, and he too, was impressed.

*winks*