May 5, 2012

The best place to knit.

Our family has spent time in Door County, Wisconsin, since the late 1960s. Many of the sites and tourist spots no longer are destinations for us. But we still enjoy the quiet time near the lake. It's a great place, for example, to sit by the picture window and knit.
 

Door County, Wisconsin, May 1985. My Mom and her best friend, Donna, relax with their knitting. The women have matching knitting bags. My Mom and Donna spent a lot of time together knitting.

That's Meškė, the Poodle, sitting on my Mom's lap.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I came across your blog via a google search for knitting pictures. I absolutely love the contrast of the two photos of your mom and her best friend, Donna, from the 60s to the 80s, particularly the fact that they still have matching knitting bags.
As a knitter deeply immersed in knitting culture, I find this kind of real history very comforting...that women would form and conduct their relationships around their stitches, and that these relationships would span decades.
Thank you

Irene said...

Thanks for visiting, Monica. I am glad you found the knitting photos touching.