March 10, 2012

Tatjana's Role at the Schweinfurt Displaced Persons Camp

Many Displaced Persons, like my Mom, worked for UNRRA.

We knew that my paternal Grandmother, Tatjana, also played a role with UNRRA in Schweinfurt, the DP camp that housed her and my Dad. There's a photo of her with other persons with whom she appears to have had a work relationship, and Tatjana was one of the key organizers of an important cultural exhibit at the camp.

Today, I found a letter that explains her work in Schweinfurt in more detail:



Schweinfurt, Germany, May 12, 1947. The UNRRA Executive Officer of the Schweinfurt Camp explains Tatjana's roles in the camp administration.


Schweinfurt, Germany, May 12, 1947. The UNRRA administrators of the Schweinfurt DP camp gather for a group photo.

*     *     *     *     *


Schweinfurt, Germany, December 1946. Here's another photo of two camp administrators sitting at the exhibit Tatjana organized. A scout stands on the left, and a DP dressed in traditional Lithuanian folkdress is on the right.

Check out the weavings hanging on the wall! Don't those inspire some knitting patterns?!

*     *     *     *     *

In 1948, Tatjana emigrated to America. Once in New York, Tatjana worked in the household of a United Nations translator:


Recall that Tatjana was the first woman to earn advanced degree in Chemical Engineering from the University in St. Petersburg.

4 comments:

Terry said...

My father-in-law was issued his International Refugee Organization certificate of identity for the purpose of immigration to Australia at the resettlement center in Schweinfurt. I am assuming that he was living in the Schweinfurt displaced persons camp. Would there be any records to establish where he was living in the camp?
Terry

Irene said...

Hi Terry, I have no camp records or information about the records.

Irene said...

I should add--the two papers here were issued to my Grandmother; that is why I have them. I have no connection with camp records.

Nieta said...


Hello, I would like to tell you that one of the ladies who appears in the group photo looks very similar to my grandmother. I have a photo to send you, very similar