September 16, 2013

Nunspiration

The "favorite teacher" is a topic that arises occasionally on the blog. The sister pictured here, Sister Patricia, was not one of my teachers. She was a member of the Order of Saint Francis, and she served for a time as the Principal of the grade school I attended.

Sister Patricia was my first "nun crush." She and a colleague once met with our family when the parish encouraged teachers to visit student homes. We hosted them in our living room in the early evening, and my paternal Grandmother, Tatjana, served tea. As Sister Patricia sat on our sofa, I rested my head against her starched habit, smelled her Ivory-soap-clean hands, and noticed that she, like I, had a cheek dimple

After I met Sister Patricia *and* saw The Sound of Music, I was certain I wanted to become a nun.


Melrose Park, Illinois, June 1964. Sister Patricia attends a graduation ceremony.

3 comments:

edutcher said...

I know what you mean about "nun crushes".

The first nun to give me religious instruction, Sister Marietta, was mine.

Irene said...

She was so young.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but this is NOT Sr. Patricia.