April 11, 2012

Scouting is a memory bank.

I sometimes wrestle with the issue of whether I should post more photos from my Dad's scouting days. I wonder if the scouting photos don't bore my occasional visitors.

Scouting wove through my Dad's life, and I feel compelled to preserve that corner of his legacy. As a child, for example, Dad wore his scouting uniform to a family dinner. He chose to be in uniform for a formal portrait. Dad treasured photos from his camping trips in Lithuania. After Dad fled Lithuania as a refugee, he regrouped with other Lithuanian scouts in the DP camp. There, he photographed a memorable scoutmaster. Dad joined fellow DPs in scouting activities a few months before he married, and he traveled to the Scouting Jamboree while he still was a newlywed.

Finally, Dad spent the last few months of his life collecting and restoring his scouting photos.


Near Kaunas, Lithuania, about 1936. My Dad is the little guy with the eye glasses, tucked behind the left side of the scoutmaster's head, between the two taller girls.

No comments: