March 30, 2012

What to do when it rains.

When we traveled to the Rocky Mountains, our family hiked almost every day. Our hiking plans pivoted on the weather forecast. Sometimes, a hike started out with lovely weather, but we'd get caught in rain or snow once we were in higher elevations. On other occasions, the weather started out badly, and we would find alternative ways to amuse ourselves.

During our Rocky Mountain National Park vacation, we did not stay at a place with a swank lodge nearby. So when the weather was bad, we took refuge in our simple cabin instead of in a lush lobby.


Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado, July 1967. This is the central lodge of the ranch at which we stayed. This was a cozy, family-run place with a small common area for the guests.

*     *     *     *     *


Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado, July 1967. Here's Mom, sitting next to the gold Buick LeSabre, outside of our cabin.

*     *     *     *     *

Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado, July 1967. Mom and I are inside the cabin. It looks like we are writing letters. Ha ha. My Mom hates letter writing. I don't remember the name of the Teddy Bear on the window seat. But he is wearing Madras shorts.

*     *     *     *     *


Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado, July 1967. We're in the cabin again. I must be bored because I am blowing up the Elsie-the-Cow balloon that I got at the Green Lake Fourth of July Parade.

The Teddy Bear with the Madras shorts has lost his place of honor to a new member of the family, "Fuzzina." Fuzzina was the birthday gift my Parents bought for me in Colorado that summer. She is a Koala bear, and she was my favorite stuffed animal. Fuzzina had little rubber claws that periodically became detached. My paternal Grandmother used a furrier's needle to sew the claws back onto the paws. (Fuzzina still lives with me.)

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I remember Fuzzina! Wasn't there a Fuzzy too? I seem to remember a pair --Fuzzy and Fuzzina...

Irene said...

Unfortunately, "Fuzzina" had no "Fuzzy." Her closest friend was the bear, "Apollo VIII."