February 9, 2012

Many Glacier Hotel

Our usual lodging choice in Glacier National Park was the Swiftcurrent Motor Inn. The nearby Many Glacier Hotel was, for our family, too swanky.

We did, however, sometimes spend time at the Many Glacier Hotel. That was the location, for example, from which we launched horseback rides. It was also the place to which we went when we could not hike because of bad weather. Sometimes we hung out in the hotel's lobby when the college kids working at the Swiftcurrent Motor Inn cleaned our rooms. Often we people watched, especially when the red buses rolled in with the fancy, city tourists.

The hotel had a great gift shop. The shop sold a stuffed, albeit stiff, bear toy, complete with a red leash. My Parents never bought one of those bears for me, and I now wish I had one.


Glacier National Park, Montana, July 1972. Guests arrived at the red door on the right.

*     *     *     *     *


Glacier National Park, Montana, July 1972. The gift shop sits beneath the taxidermied mountain goat.  The flowered couches in the back, on the right, were cozy. Ashtrays!

*     *     *     *     *


Glacier National Park, Montana, July 1972. Sit under the bison and stay awhile.

*     *     *     *     *


Glacier National Park, Montana, July 1972. My Godmother and my Mom take off their eye glasses before I photograph them. Mom has both her gold, vinyl knitting bag and her woven knitting bag at her feet. It must have been a rainy day.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Love the vintage pictures...furiture has changed a bit since then!

Irene said...

Thanks, Kathy.

I have not been back since 1987. Does the hotel still sell the bears I described? I wonder if the gift shop in St. Mary's might not have the bears, too.