March 15, 2012

Three Generations

I recently submitted all of our family's 8mm home movies for conversion to DVD. The clerk was surprised that we had about 7,700 feet of film to process. He was delighted, however, that my Dad had organized everything by date and place. It would be easy, the clerk concluded, to maintain the chronological integrity of the eighteen reels.

My Mom forgot that she usually was the one responsible for shooting the home movies. This was especially true when we traveled on vacation. Dad shot the black-and-white photos and slides, and Mom handled the moving pictures.

I showed this photo to Mom last night to remind her that she often had a movie camera in hand:


Lake Nipissing, Ontario, Canada, July 1964. I'm on the little rental boat with my paternal Grandmother, Tatjana, and my Mom. Tatjana summered in Toronto with her daughter, my Dad's twin sister, Jonė, but she took the train up to the lake to spend a July week with us at the cottage.

1 comment: