February 29, 2012

Oakbrook Center Opens

Oakbrook Center opened in March 1962, and our family began frequenting the shopping center a few months later.

Oakbrook was a special place. Even if a family could not afford to shop at all of the stores, it always could enjoy the flowers and other seasonal decorations.

Oakbrook punctuated many occasions for me. I went to the old Oakbrook "UA Cinema" on my first date. The movie was A Touch of Class with Glenda Jackson and George Segal. I had dinner at "The Magic Pan" on the night I graduated from high school. I used to meet my Godmother at Henrici's for lunch. When I started interviewing for university jobs, Mom took me to Oakbrook to select a suit. After I got a job, she indulged me by buying a pair of unforgettable shoes at one of the Oakbrook stores. Mr. Irene and I selected our engagement rings at the Oakbrook Marshall Field's. Mom and I picked out Mom's "mother-of-the-bride" dress at Oakbrook's Lord & Taylor.


Oakbrook, Illinois, August 1962. The shopping center always plants beautiful flowers. In the spring, it is full of tulips. That's the famous, round Sears store in the background.
 
*     *     *     *     *
 
 
Oakbrook, Illinois, August 1962. My paternal Grandmother, Tatjana, my Mom, and I sit near one of the fountains. We are in front of the Sears store. Mom holds the pocketbook that my Dad's friend, Casey, brought from Colombia.
 
*     *     *     *     *
 
 
Oakbrook, Illinois, August 1962. Ah! That dress is so fresh in my memory, I can almost hear the rustle of the fabric.
 
*     *     *     *     *
 
 
Oakbrook, Illinois, August 1962. Well, hello there.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

When I think of childhood, I remember you, Baba, and your mom exactly as you are in that photo... Makes me smile!

Irene said...

*winks*

Anonymous said...

Sears is gone.

Leslie Goddard said...

Dear Irene, I just love your photos! I’ve been working with the Elmhurst History Museum on an exhibition about Chicagoland Department Stores. Would you be willing to grant us permission to use the photo of you, your mother and your grandmother in front of Sears at Oakbrook Center for this exhibition? We haven’t been able to locate many photographs of suburban department stores that have people in them and this is such a lovely photo. My email is L-Goddard@att.net. Thanks for considering this, and thanks for sharing