February 3, 2012

Kinship, in Three Takes

In 1981, my Dad's twin sister, Jonė, and her husband, Kadis, drove from Toronto to Door County, Wisconsin, to visit my Parents. My Dad had undergone heart surgery about six months earlier, and it was a good time for everyone to catch up.

This visit was one of the last times the four of them spent time together.


Door County, Wisconsin, Summer 1981. Let's pose on some steps! Dad starts out be checking the self-timer. Mom offers advice. Jonė cajoles Gigi to get into the picture.

*     *     *     *     *


Door County, Wisconsin, Summer 1981. There. Everyone looks reasonable. My Mom, however, has a melancholy look that I recognize instantly.

*     *     *     *     *


Door County, Wisconsin, Summer 1981. Dad tries to lighten the mood by putting on his beret.

No comments: