February 20, 2012

Contract

Here's Mom with Dr. Harry, her partner in the medical practice.

I asked Mom what papers she was signing when Dad took this photo.

"How am I supposed to remember what I signed fifty years ago?"

My Dad photographed many every-day events, but this is probably the only photograph of Dr. Harry that we have. Dad thought this was an important, different, moment. The signing occurred in January; that leads me to think it was an employment contract for the upcoming year.

Was Mom signing the papers that boosted her from a forty-percent partner to a fifty-percent one? Dr. Harry was very good to my Mom, and in 1962, Mom already had been working with Dr. Harry for just over five years.


Suburban Chicago, January, 1962. Mom and Dr. Harry are in the living room, at that coffee table we still use. Mom wears a stay-at-home outfit; namely, a pencil skirt and simple sweater. Dr. Harry usually wore bow ties. Those must be Dr. Harry's cigarettes because Mom smoked a different brand.

After both physicians retired, Dr. Harry called my Mom every year to wish her a Happy Birthday. We knew Dr. Harry had died when that telephone call did not come through one year.

No comments: