December 16, 2011

Cheer up everybody; Kūčios is almost here.

Kūčios, or Christmas Eve, is a magical time of traditions and love. Santa Claus delivers gifts to Lithuanian children on the evening of Kūčios because Lithuanian boys and girls are extra special.


Mariampolis, Lithuania, December 24, 1936. Kūčios evening. My Mom, with braids, holds a doll outfitted in folkdress. That doll likely was her Christmas gift that year. Seated from left to right are my maternal Grandfather Jake, my Mom's maternal Grandfather Silvestras, my Mom's maternal Aunt Dora, my Mom's maternal Grandmother Zigmunta, and my Maternal Grandmother Jadzė.

Zigmunta is holding "Pupsikas," her little fawn Chihuahua dog. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Irene,
I'm the editor of Bridges, the Lithuanian-American News Journal. I was searching for some information on Kucios and came across your blog. In the December issue that we're pulling together now, we're featuring an excerpt from Ruta Sepetys's book, Between Shades of Gray, that tells about the deportees' first Kucios in Siberia, where they bring photos of relatives to the gathering. You have such wonderful photos from that era that I was wondering if you'd be willing to let us use a few of them to illustrate the story. If you could let me know in the next couple of days, that would be wonderful. You can reach me at bridges.terese (at) gmail.com. Thank you so much for considering this request.
Terese Vekteris

Irene said...

Hi Terese. I've sent you an email. Thanks so much.