October 12, 2011

Diva

My Mom has a great love for opera. I have childhood memories of hearing Puccini melodies drifting up from the Rec Room on Sunday afternoons. Mom taught me to appreciate the distinct instruments different divas possessed, and by my preteen years, I could distinguish the voice of Maria Callas from that of Marilyn Horne, and Joan Sutherland from Beverly Sills. During some opera seasons, my Parents bought tickets to stagings at the Lyric Opera of Chicago. There, I saw several thrilling performances, including Sutherland in "Lucia di Lammermoor" and Leontyne Price in "Madame Butterfly." One of my first dates with Mr. Irene was to see a performance of "Don Giovanni" at the Lyric featuring Samuel Remey. Interesting choice.

When I was a graduate student, I learned that Leontyne Price would be in (the small college) town to perform a recital. I stood by the ticket window to see if any seats became available. A woman who had an ill husband sold me his spot, and we sat together in the front row of the mezzanine. When Price sang the first few notes of "Un Bel Di," my heart lept into my throat, and I wept so hard I got the hiccups. That aria swept up many memories. 


Suburban Chicago, May 1961. I belt out a tune while Mom accompanies me. The skirt I am wearing is part of some costume. Notice the plastic tub on my head, which served as a fine crown. I still remember the throw pillow on the left. It was gray, and the quilted strips were made from vivid colors. Sculpted carpeting! The still life above the piano features a lilac bouquet. It was painted for my Mom as a gift. This was before my Parents hired an "interior decorator" to redo the living room. One of the changes he made was to move that painting from above the piano and replace it with a fancy chandelier. That's sure to appear here in later photos.

No comments: