January 29, 2016

Domestic Self-Expression

In communist-era "identical[ ] apartments [designed] to 'put an end to any individualistic inclinations, which were considered as a threat on the ‘new man’ who was not to be encouraged into having opinions of his own'."

I could spend hours looking at stuff like this.

ADDED: On which floor would you be most comfortable? I'd choose the nine-floor apartment (although I bet that portrait of Jesus wasn't on display in 1967). The first-floor flat comes in second for me; I like it because you can see the herring-bone parquet.

1 comment:

edutcher said...

Teddy Kennedy was another one of those who thought the "‘new man’ ... was not to be encouraged into having opinions of his own".

Fascinating, though, how people still put their own stamp on the most uniform of things.