July 20, 2015

A Memorable House


Suburban Chicago, June 1961. This is my Best Friend's house; she lived in the Ashley model. The open window is in the home's kitchen. A serviceberry tree grew under that window. The berries made a mess on the patio pavement, but they attracted many birds.

The family living next door to this house had older, intimidating, boys. When the boys were teens, they organized a garage band. One June evening my Best Friend and I sat on their driveway and listened to the band play "Hanky Panky." We thought we were so cool: we sang along, "My baby doesn't hang a penny."

Dad took this photo from our yard. The pole on the left is the swingset support; on the right is one of the weeping willows.

7 comments:

Patrick said...

http://kissthisguy.com/

archive of misheard song lyrics.

Irene said...

Wonderful; thanks!

Patrick said...

That one is hilarious...

I call it: "Ode to the Condom"

Irene said...

:-)

edutcher said...

You could usually make out Tommy James' lyrics.

Some songs, like "Western Movies", you had to wait for the Internet to come along to figure out what they said.

Leslie said...

Ohhh what a great photo of my childhood home!! Many nice memories! We had a nice time didn't we? Thanks for posting this!

Irene said...

There are many nice memories for me, too. I see the backyard, and I think of zinnias, sautéed Cheerios, and playing under the sprinkler.