June 10, 2015

A Treat


Madison, Wisconsin, June 10, 2015. I don't have much of a sweet toothI'd much rather eat some cheese instead of dessertbut this is my favorite candy. It's not sold in the United States (yes, the manufacturer did export it for a while, but I never saw it here). My love of "Coffee Crisp" probably is nostalgic. My Mom used to enjoy the chocolates during the summers we vacationed in Canada. Ah! I remember Mom eating a "Coffee Crisp" as we walked back from this shopping trip. Back then, "Coffee Crisp" wrappers were a dense foil, and it was difficult to open the packages.

Some time ago, a student from Calgary occasionally brought me a bag after she returned from a visit. She graduated (and went on to skate with two gold-medal winning Canadian women's hockey teams). Later, my Toronto Cousin started bringing a bag of "Coffee Crisp" when she drove down to see us in the States. It's hard, however, to go a year between tastes of "Coffee Crisp."

Today another friend surprised me with a bag of the treats. So thanks, Toronto Michelle, for brightening our day.

1 comment:

edutcher said...

Of course, made by Nestle.

I lost a taste for anything coffee when I was quite small

But, it would be like getting a Care package full of the old varieties of Tasty-Kakes for me.

Glad you got a blast from the past.