May 17, 2015

"Luxury living at its best"

My Parents bought their home in a new development. They had hoped to settle in nearby Elmhurst, but they couldn't afford houses in that suburb. Mom and Dad chose the middle of the three models offered for sale, the "Beverly." The house measured about 1,725 square feet. Most "Beverly" homes housed five- to six-person families.

Here are some images from the promotional brochure created for the development:


*     *     *     *     *


I think the definition of "walk-in closets" was a bit different in the 1950s.

Thanks to my friend Mary for sending this document to me. I'll post more from the piece later.

3 comments:

edutcher said...

They wanted people to know the old days were gone and everybody could have a nice place.

Leslie said...

I LOVE it!!! I've never seen this before. I know my mom always always regretted not getting the Beverly since both her sisters got that model a few blocks away. I remember as a kid thinking that the people with the largest model (the Canterbury?)were "wealthy"...

Irene said...

Ha ha! We thought the same things about the Canterbury: fancy. I recently spoke to someone who bought a Canterbury (in the 1990s), and my first thought was, "Oh, so you must be doing well."

In the next few weeks I'll scan some images about the Ashley and send them to you.