November 10, 2014

He'll be okay.


*     *     *     *     *


*     *     *     *     *


*     *     *     *     *


Verona, Wisconsin, November 10, 2014. Another bird hit our picture window today. This time, the accident victim was one of the Red-Bellied Woodpeckers that frequents the backyard bird feeder. After I heard the loud thump, I looked to the ground. The bird rested motionless on its back, its feet in the air. I was sure it was dead, and I planned how I later would ask Mr. Irene to move it away from the house.

Thirty minutes passed. I checked on the woodpecker again. This time, he still looked stunned, but he appeared somewhat alert. Rex, the designated barker, started to warn the household about the bird's presence as I took these photos. A few seconds later, the woodpecker flared up and flew into the trees behind the house. In a few hours, he was back at the feeder, nibbling on sunflower seeds.

2 comments:

edutcher said...

You need a pendulum in the window.

edutcher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.