May 16, 2013

Related by Marriage: A Visit from a Cousin


Suburban Chicago, January 2, 1962. Here's Mr. Irene and  his "Cousin I." Cousin I is Anthony's daughter; Anthony was Mr. Irene's Godfather.

*     *     *     *     *


Suburban Chicago, January 2, 1962. Cousin I's Mom sits between Cousin I and Mr. Irene. That's the head of Mr. Irene's maternal Grandmother, Anna, on the left.

Chicagoans: does that box of Heinmann's cookies from Dominick's trigger your salivary glands? The cookies likely were those thin chocolate chip ones that often seemed a bit overly crispy on the edges. We were a "Jewel family," so I didn't visit Dominick's often. My Parents probably thought it was too Italian. My neighbor took me to the River Forest Dominick's on North Avenue once or twice a year: on those occasions, I grabbed a few hot cookies as they emerged into the bakery on a conveyer belt. The store encouraged that conduct.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Dominick's! I remember and miss those cookies. They almost melted on your tongue. I also carry fond thoughts for Jewel's coffee cakes - the big round ones as well as the rectangular filled ones.

What I miss most about Chicago is the food - the quality (if you knew where to go) and the variety.

--Nora

Irene said...

I miss the varieties of food in Chicago, too. You can't get Kugelis or Cepelinai here!