April 11, 2013

Transitions

Yesterday's post about my Toronto Cousin's folkdress left me thinking about the different costumes I'd worn over the years.

My first "adult" folkdress was one of the mass-produced garments created for the population of Lithuanian baby boomers living in North America. I wore that garish, green folkdress for many years, before my family decided I could transition to the heirloom ensemble. I never had a good headpiece, so I continued to wear the crown from the green folkdress into adulthood.

I recently saw a photo of Mr. Irene's great Aunt, Danutė, at her wake. Her family chose to bury her in her magnificent folkdress

Here's how the green folkdress looked when I wore it to a choir performance:


Suburban Chicago, Winter 1975. I didn't like the blouse that was part of the green folkdress set, so I instead wore the one my paternal Grandmother had embroidered.

2 comments:

edutcher said...

You were a very beautiful young woman.

Irene said...

Thanks, edutcher.