March 9, 2013

We go to the "Knit In."


Madison, Wisconsin, March 9. 2013. Today we visited the Madison Knitters' Guild 2013 "Knit In"!

*     *     *     *     *


The Knit-In took place at the Bishop O'Connor Catholic Pastoral Center. The Center used to be a seminary. When I first moved to Madison in 1990, I tried to get a teaching job there. I didn't qualify for a position because I was not licensed for high-school teaching. I took a job at a yarn shop instead.

*     *     *     *     *


The Flag of Vatican City flies on the property.

*     *     *     *     *


In the Center's foyer, there's a curio (not curia) cabinet filled with (mostly) nun tchotchkes.

*     *     *     *     *


Let's take a closer look. The doll on the bottom shelf, at the far right, looks like one of the Dominican sisters who ran my high school. (Have you seen The Singing Nun?)

*     *     *     *     *


The Center's Chapel is light, modern, and inviting.

*     *     *     *     *


We finally arrived at the Knit In's "Marketplace," staged in the center's Gymnasium.

*     *     *     *     *


Although the space was crowded during much of the morning, things cleared out a bit occasionally.

*     *     *     *     *


There were many tempting items, but we kept our impulses in check. We picked up a lovely bag (thanks, Donna!) and some exquisite buttons crafted from cedar wood.

Thanks to the Madison Knitters' Guild for organizing such a nice event. And thanks to my friend for creating another memorable outing for me and Mom.

3 comments:

Peter Hoh said...

The entrance and steeple look remarkably familiar. Here's the front of my church.

Irene said...

That's quite a similarity!

Unknown said...

You captured the day very well! Thanks for driving.