February 28, 2013

Related by Marriage: A Second Arrival


Postwar Germany, March 11, 1949. This is Ignas, Mr. Irene's paternal Uncle, shortly before Ignas emigrated to the United States. Ignas wrote a summary of this period:
On June 18, 1949, I arrived in Chicago. My brother [Mr. Irene's Dad] had already arrived one week before me. We were very warmly welcomed and received by [our sponsor's] family. ...
The following week I got a job at a carpet warehouse. I could read and write in English, but could not pronounce the words. It was almost a month before I could have a decent conversation with coworkers. The work was interesting, but I had to learn how to lift heavy objects. In the fall I began going to night school at Inglewood High School to learn English. During this same time the Lithuanian organization “Ateitis” was re-established in Chicago. We even started a Lithuanian folk dance group.


No comments: