August 29, 2012

Moms Who Drove


Marquette Park, Chicago, Illinois, Winter 1958. Many 1950s- and 1960s-stay-at-home Moms did not drive. It was not uncommon for women to wait for their husbands to chauffeur them around on weekends to the grocery store and other house-related destinations. Mr. Irene's Dad walked to work, so his Mom had the car available to her during the workday. Unlike her sister Martha, Mr. Irene's Mom learned to drive. My Mom also drove because she worked, and she often headed off to house calls during the night.

I thought it was strange that some woman could not drive. Imagine not being able to drive and living in the suburbs, with no shops, libraries, or cafés within walking distance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up (and my dad still lives) in Marquette Park. Yes, we only had one car for the longest time. My mom had to BEG my dad to leave it home so she could do errands with me when I was a kid (we're talking early 70s). I remember her dropping him off at work--the railroad tracks by Nabisco on Kedzie. We lived on Lawndale so not too far. If she couldn't drop him off, he would walk.

What burb did you grow up in? We're in Palos Hills now. Great blog.

Irene said...

Thanks for the kind words about the blog. The photos trigger happy memories for me.

I grew up in Melrose Park. If you search "Winston Park" here, you'll see photos of the particular subdivision in which my home stood.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I grew up 66th Lawndale.