April 18, 2012

Language Lessons

My paternal Grandmother, Tatjana, tried to teach me her native Russian language. It was a struggle. I learned only a few phrases (blue-tongued insults and foodie terms), and I now regret that Russian is not among the languages I understand fluidly.

Perhaps my disinterest in the Russian lessons stemmed from the books Tatjana used to teach me:


The only thing familiar about this book cover is the set of bows in the girl's hair.

*     *     *     *     *


The boys wear the mandatory red neckkerchiefs.

*     *     *     *     *


Tatjana thought my understanding would improve if she penciled in the meaning of the words above them in Lithuanian.

*     *     *     *     *


The last pages of the book remind children about what's really important. Look! The right-hand page is torn out. Was it a picture of Stalin that someone ripped up?
  
*     *     *     *     *


A later edition in the same series is not more inspiring.

*     *     *     *     *


It, too, has lessons for the little comrades.

*     *     *     *     *


Here's the 1959 French language book with which Tatjana had much more success.

*     *     *     *     *


That's one lurky wolf!

2 comments:

Kris said...

I wish I had learned Russian. And German.

Remember Baba and my grandfather sitting at the dining table, reciting long passages from poetry by Pushkin?

Grandpa loved being at parties where your family participated; they were rare occasions where he got to speak Russian, a language he loved.

Irene said...

I will look for a photo of the two of them. I am sure we have several.