March 26, 2012

Shopping in Salzburg

My favorite stop during our 1971 European vacation was Salzburg. I fell in love with the city not only because of its immediate connection to The Sound of Music. I also found Salzburg enchanting because of its walkable size and its friendly atmosphere.


Salzburg, Austria, July 1971. Doesn't it seem like Mozart is just around the corner?

*     *     *     *     *


Salzburg, Austria, July 1971. Ah, here are a couple of 1970s maxi dresses on the prowl. The women look like they are on their way to an event. Mom and I lean against a shop window. I very much wanted to buy an Austrian dirndl at one of the folksy boutiques, but my Parents correctly concluded that the getup would not translate well in Suburban Chicago. (The dress I wear in the photo is a home sewn, polyester imitation of a dirndl.)

Years later, when I lived in Venice, Italy, I partially satisfied this taste for Bavarian fashion when I purchased a unisex loden coat. (I love it and still wear it today.)

*     *     *     *     *


Salzburg, Austria, July 1971. The view of the magnificent castle.

No comments: