November 25, 2011

Kitten One

There are few photographs of me holding kittens or cats. As a child, I loved all animals, but I've always favored dogs.

This kitten was special because she belonged to friends of my Parents who lived in an outlying suburb of Chicago. Their home sat on a five-acre lot, and the property was quasi-rural. They had many kittens and cats. They also had a white German Shepherd dog. Best of all, they owned a horse.

I loved going to that place and playing with their daughter. Sometimes, when my Parents dropped me off for a day visit during the winter, I often hoped that it would snow so that I'd be "stranded" there and would have to do a sleep over.

Today, of course, that "outlying suburb" in which they lived is in the middle of an urban area.


Suburban Chicago, 1963. I absorb the greatness of spending an afternoon with a baby animal.

2 comments:

Elise said...

Once I spent the afternoon with baby bunnies. My brother and I found them after my mother accidentally disturbed their nest while mowing the lawn (no one was hurt)

Then my mom left to run some errands and told my brother (then 7) and me (then 11) "not to touch the bunnies while she was gone"

You better believe we waited until she drove away and then got those bunnies and snuggled them and played with them all afternoon. We returned them to their nest and the mother rabbit moved them by the next day. It remains my favorite memory of childhood and the best day I ever had as a kid!


All this was because of your line about enjoying the day with a baby animal...I can relate!

Irene said...

What a sweet memory, Elise. I think the old wives' tale about animal mothers abandoning babies who were touched by humans is, well, bologna.

Memories like yours make life richer.